Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dr. Dwight Pentecost





One of the many benefits to studying God's word at seminary is meeting the distinguished faculty. I do have classes with Dr. Howard Hendricks otherwise known as "The Prof." For those of of you well versed in Biblical..Christian stuff his name may mean something to you. He is very well respected and really an amazing man of God. But, I have had the privilege to actually spend quality time with one of the professors.
Dr. Dwight Pentecost is another distinguished professor here. He was born in 1915 so he is an aging man (not unlike the rest of us I suppose) but despite his age he still speaks in chapel and teaches a class. I got the opportunity to have a meal with him and other students during one of my first nights here. As a result of that wonderful time and conversation I learned that he had married a southern woman. She has since gone to be with the Lord. But, in honor of her..and him I made him a plate of biscuits and delivered them to his apartment. His apartment is beautiful! He was kind enough to visit with myself and a friend I brought along who is a HUGE fan of him and his writing. In fact I really must give credit to my friend who really introduced me to Dr. P. and helped me understand his contributions.

Apparently it is tradition for Dr. P. to give ice cream to his visitors. So, I enjoyed a big bowl of ice cream! He is a witty, wise, gentle, man and we had so much fun! I have linked his name to a wikipedia page that will tell you a little bit about him and his accomplishments in case you don't know who in the world I'm talking about!

No comments: